SPRINGFIELD-A suspicious barn fire killed fifteen horses early this morning at Lincoln Downs Race Track here, a day before the racing season’s opening.
Thirteen thoroughbred and ten saddle horses died in the fire. Ten horses escaped the barn, two stampeding through the barnyard with their backs ablaze.
Only charred wooden supports remain from the barn, which burned from 4 am to around noontime.The fire exploded near the center of the barn.
According to Dan Bucci, the track’s assistant General Manager, there is no electrical or heating equipment in the center.
“Flames were shooting out of the barn when we got here,” said fire chief Bernard Perry. The fire department is continuing their investigation.
“Those are my best friends. I love horses more than I do people. I feel like I want to cry,” said Albert Ramos, a distraught jockey at the track.
(Firefighters battle this morning's barn blaze.)

No comments:
Post a Comment